Thursday, October 21, 2010

9/01/10 Cabin Fever Breeds Stupidity

Even hours after the hard rain had started, it was essentially unrelenting.  There were 10 minute breaks every now and then, but nothing substantial.  My idle mind turned to Space’s bug zapping racquet.  It’s shaped like a small tennis racquet, but is strung with horizontal metal rods through which an electric current runs to kills bugs that you smack in mid-flight…"serving up death" seems like an appropriate description of the motion.

The red light means "Danger"
Exactly how much current do you need to kill a bug?  Space knew what I was thinking, but out of concern for me, he avoided asking the question in a yes/no question because with the “Philosophy of Yes” in full effect he knew what my answer had to be and he didn’t want to feel responsible.

So, how much current does it take to kill a bug?  I have no fucking idea, but however much it is, it hurts like a ‘sumbitch!  I’m surprised I didn’t end up with grill marks on my finger.  My reaction was the stuff of YouTube.  Too bad we didn’t think to record it.

I asked Space if he wanted to try.  His response: “I always wondered what it would feel like, but I was never stupid enough to try.  Now that you’ve done it, I don’t feel that curious anymore.”

The “Philosophy of Yes”; even when someone gets hurt, we all win!

No comments:

Post a Comment