Monday, October 18, 2010

8/31/10 Titty Tuesday in Taiwan

Back home in Toronto, my friend Alex and I enjoy a Chinese dessert.  It’s a sticky rice ball filled with peanuts and rolled in shredded coconut.  The shape and feel of these tasty treats reminds us both of breasts.  Strangely, the Chinese bakery near our office only makes them on Tuesdays.  Which is why, with school boy delight, Alex and I have declared Tuesdays “Titty Tuesdays”.

While describing some of the new things I had eaten while on vacation, another friend from Toronto named Troll warned me not to eat the “doughnut-type” thing that Iris would eventually offer me.  Iris described it to me and I instantly recognized it as a tit from Titty Tuesday.  I had to have one!

Not surprisingly these deserts have an actual name, moji (pronounced mwah-ji) but I think you’ll all agree that Moji Tuesday doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Appropriately, moji are smaller in Taiwan than they are in Canada; but they’re just as tasty.  My new favourite is the sesame filling.  The peanut version is powdery inside and offered a compelling reason to break with tradition and start using peanut butter.  A moji like that would kick just as much ass as Chuck Norris.  The one with the red bean filling had the consistency of Play-Doh and was a definite loser compared to its Toronto version.  I’ve always questioned the use of red bean in desserts and this did nothing to sway my opinion.

a BIG bite

Sesame filling

Iris demostrates the traditional Moji licking technique
  
In the spirit of innovation, I suggested a Taiwanese-Italian alliance in the form of nutella moji.  Space countered with peanut butter and chocolate version; an equally good idea.  In the game of dessert innovation, we all win.  Now if we could only convince our friendly Taiwanese bakers to come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment