Thursday, October 7, 2010

8/29/10 aka Jerry

Wow, am I ever thankful for anglicized names!  While I think I could have chosen a better name for my young train seatmate than “Jerry”, the prospect of having to write it in Chinese is horrifying.  Space is a smart guy who has been living here for eight years and he can still only recognize a handful of Chinese characters.



Jerry: "I can't believe this idiot is eating duck tongues again!"

Jerry: "How can I take him seriously when he's wearing that hat?"

Although I thought he was remarkably shy, Space insisted that Jerry was outgoing.  The fact that he was willing to engage English speakers in conversation was surprising as children here normally retreat from anything unfamiliar; it’s a product of a universally sheltered upbringing.

I guess a shy kid doesn't give out his info so easily

2 comments:

  1. Do you think posted Jerry's info on the net like this is a great idea? I'm teaching at his school right now. I'll have to keep an eye out for him this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, Jerry's info was heavily edited prior to posting the photo.

    ReplyDelete