Sunday, October 24, 2010

9/01/10 Boxing 911

On my way through a pedestrian walkway I saw three kids playing a videogame that I’ve seen in Canada.  A speed bag drops down and you have to hit it as hard as you can with one punch.  The game measures your power on a scale of 1-1000.  The kids laughed as I watched them; they were conscious of the fact that I was a foreigner and they tried to hide the fact that they were talking about me.  Unfortunately, they were not skilled in the art of subtlety and I happen to be a master of the obvious.  It didn’t help that they were pointing at me while they spoke.

They were overjoyed when I indicated that I would give it a try.  Two scores in the 700s didn’t do much for my ego.  In fact the kids used the universal hand sign for “so-so” to describe my performance.  One final punch returned a score of 911…the crowd went wild.  They asked where I was from and were blown away when I said Canada.  They couldn’t believe that someone had come from so far away.





I had a smile on my face.  The overwhelming dampness had sustained some damage.

2 comments:

  1. I don'trecall this event happening as you describe it. I recall punching the bag harder than you on the first go round and you feeling the overwhelming urge to beat my score. I also recall both scores being in the mid-800s.

    I ALSO recall that the onlookers were impressed with our scores in the 700s. The guy before us punched in the 500s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Space, you're getting ahead of yourself. Round 2 at the boxing game happened at the night market a few days later. Details and photos in due course.

    ReplyDelete