Thursday, October 7, 2010

8/29/10 Extremes in Balance

Maybe it was the lack of sleep, maybe it was the bad coffee, maybe it was all the street food featuring duck, but Space and I decided that he would count the really skinny women and I would count the obese ones.  This wasn’t an exercise in cruelty; rather, it all came about quite innocently since he made the comment that women here were overwhelmingly skinny.  I thought they were rather well proportioned given their generally shorter heights.  Space claimed that he could count 20 skinnies faster than I could count 20 fatties with one key limitation for me: no women could be counted on my list if a slowing metabolism could be blamed.

I got out to an early lead, but skinny girls (legs as skinny as spaghetti…sorry, noodles… and right angles where the upper inner thigh met with the crotch) mounted a strong comeback.  By the time we boarded the train, it was all even.  Space took issue with a group of three hungry girls that I had spotted.  He claimed they were sisters who obviously had a genetic propensity towards “hungriness”.  I told him his rules were too complicated and we could discuss the nature/nurture debate when we were drunk.

In the end it was obvious that regardless of who would win the counting contest, there are very few obese people here.  Unbelievable considering how cheap and plentiful…and fried the food is.

Opposites

No comments:

Post a Comment