Monday, November 22, 2010

9/09/10 Vodka for breakfast: even better than you think


Taiwan had turned out to be a fruit lover’s paradise, the kind of fruit that they charge an arm and a leg to get at home.  Case in point: passion fruit; the actual fruit, not the girl.  In Canada, you can expect to pay $2.00 each; here, you get a bag of 12 for about the same price.  Needless to say, I had seized the opportunity and was on passion fruit overload – 6 or 7 each morning.  And then today it hit me: a little slice off the bottom so it would stand up on its own, open up the top so it became a cup, add vodka, stir and enjoy.  Space and Iris were suspicious yet intrigued; unfortunately they declined to take part in my culinary experiment since they had to teach… and Iris would have been hammered.  I had no such restrictions so 2 of my 5 passion fruits were the vodka shooter type.  The results were predictably amazing.  It was tart and crunchy because of the seeds without a trace of alcohol burn.  I may have found a replacement for lemon gin in the category of “disguised alcohol”.


1 comment: