Monday, November 1, 2010

9/03/10 Taiwanese Haircut

A quick glance in the mirror revealed that I was getting a little shaggy.  Longer hair makes they grey show though and I hate that.  Time for a trim.  Space suggested a place where I could get the full Taiwanese experience.  Shampoo and head massage followed by another head massage, then a haircut, shampoo, head massage and blow dry.  All that for about $15?  I’m in!

Tragically the Taiwanese beauty who was to provide my head massage was replaced at the last second by a guy who was almost as feminine.  Eye makeup, fake lashes and an off-the-shoulder top.  Personal preferences aside, he gave a great head massage…twice.

A haircut for me should really take no more than five minutes.  It’s a quick job when your hair is cut this short.  #2 trimmer, clean up the back and sides…done!  But my stylist was meticulous; 20 minutes later he finally finished.  Back to the chair for my final shampoo, this time from a homely girl who wouldn’t look directly at me.  Her head massage left me wanting... it was weak.  I suppose the slightest trace of masculinity left in the first guy made the difference.

The last part of the experience made me howl with laughter.  Picture the ridiculousness of a guy with a buzz cut having his hair blown dry.  Sure, it was part of the service, but also completely unnecessary.  He even tried to make it seem like he was running his fingers through imaginary hair adding imaginary body.

With a clear sadness in his eyes my original masseuse waved goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment