Friday, December 17, 2010

9/15/10 Departure

The time had come to go.  I set my alarm for the first time since arriving and packed my bags.  In the back of my mind I’d felt the strong pull of home for a while but somehow managed to suppress it with all the plans I’d made during my stay.  Now with no plans, the pull was strong again.

Car packed, we drove to the train station…slowly.  Not to relish in the drive, but because everyone here drives so slowly.  If the limit is 60, they’ll do 50.  If it’s 70, they might touch 60, but for safety’s sake will likely stick with 50.  There are countless car accidents here but nearly no fatalities: nobody is going fast enough!

Arrival at the train station wasn’t a moment too soon, I only had 5 minutes to spare.  I thanked my hosts profusely nearly crushing Space’s bruised and battered rib cage in the process.

With a simple wave, it was done.  My trip was over and the return was all that lay before me.  Three weeks down, a lifetime ahead.


Thanks for reading,

John

2 comments:

  1. just went thrw some of ur paragraphs about TW. fucking love it!! (excuse my language) Im an International student study in Vancouver, and Im from Taiwan. Read your blog about Passion Fruit and Gin happen to be one of my favorite drinks, except I dont muddle and dont use seed.

    just too bad u rnt in TW anymore. Otherwise I will totally drink and discuss aobut drinks with you and show you around TW and stufffffff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading James. I won't be back in TW for a while, but we can drink and discuss the next time I'm in Vancouver or if you find your way to Toronto.

      Delete