Tuesday, December 7, 2010

9/12/10 Taiwan Brain Freeze

Iris was excited; we were going to have shaved ice.  The Italian in me thought “granita”, but no granita I’ve ever seen was topped with red beans.  Ryan had declared shaved ice to be a waste of time and a poor replacement for ice cream, so Iris didn’t get it often.  Like a girl with brothers who jumps at the chance to play dolls with someone, Iris took this opportunity to introduce me to her favourite icy treat.

It goes like this: take one gigantic bowl of shaved ice and add your choice of toppings like red beans, some type of red gelatin, sweet potato, logan fruit, a few different types of marmalade, then top with more ice, and on top of all that add some condensed milk.


Did it look appetizing?  Not on your life.

As they were “assembling” Iris’ monstrosity I noticed that they just dumped the toppings in one big pile on top of each other; and her choices weren’t what you would call complimentary flavours.  Wanting to taste them individually, I specifically asked for mine to be placed apart from each other.  My request was met with a puzzled look which seemed to indicate that I was out of step with the norm.

Iris stirred hers together and made an icy swamp that reminded me of young children and mentally delayed teens back home who have a habit of mixing every available soft drink together…the classic “swamp”.  Iris had created a bowl of disgustingness, but she loved it.  My flavour isolation strategy made the shaved ice better but only two flavours and the condensed milk were palatable.  Looks like Iris will remain all alone on this one.

Iris' "swamp"

John's "flavour isolation" strategy in action



Brain Freeze or Regret?

The reaction is the same

No comments:

Post a Comment